Thursday, January 6, 2011

Hotwheels or Barbie? The Princess Boy


As a non-parent, I don't like to write about children because I don't want overstep my boundaries. I'm just speaking on what I think I would do if presented with a situation.

I'm sure that most have heard of the "Princess Boy". If not, watch the following video. For those that don't have patience, the Princess Boy is a 5 year old boy with a liking for dress-up and dolls. The child's parents completely support him and allow him to play how he chooses, whether it's with a doll or a Hot wheel.

There has been a lot of controversy over this. Some seem to think that the boy's parents are indulging him too much and they shouldn't allow him to play with things that are commonly attributed to little girls. In my opinion, I think the parents are great people for allowing their child to be himself. A lot children don't get that luxury. I've been around people that see a boy just pick up a doll and they almost panic and snatch the toy away from the child. I'll admit, I'm not sure if I'd buy my boy a dress because my main concern would be him being taunted by his peers rather than his sexuality or "manhood". That might be ignorant, especially coming from a admitted feminist, but that's just how I feel. Would I buy my son a doll? Sure. I don't think it's any different from a little girl playing with a car. And guess what? The toys a child plays with are not indicative of their sexuality. Playing with a truck isn't going to make a little girl lesbian and playing with a Barbie isn't going to ensure that a little girl will grow up heterosexual. Same can be said of little boys. People just need to calm down and realize that having a gay child isn't the end of the world and having a traditionally masculine boy or feminine daughter should not be the only source of pride. The world will not come to an end because a little boy likes to play with a Barbie.

No comments:

Post a Comment